Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reporter's Notebook: Women of 9/11 still fighting for recognition, respect - CNN.com

Reporter's Notebook: Women of 9/11 still fighting for recognition, respect - CNN.com:

'via Blog this'

With the 10th anniversary of 9/11 just around the corner I felt I could not let it pass without some mention. After all, as scholars of human communication that event was transformative in a variety of ways and deserves our attention. As I was contemplating the images that I remember from that day they are seemingly the same, courageous firefighters and peace officers among the rubble looking for survivors and in some cases sacrificing their lives. When I read this article I thought to myself, not a single image in my head from that day involves a women displayed among those visceral images. For those who know me, I consider this oversight deeply disturbing considering my own area of study. I encourage you to read this article and ponder how we write and remember history.

No comments:

Post a Comment